Department of Genetics
Directions of research: regulation of gene activity, mechanisms of stability to external factors and stress-reactions on the level of cell nucleus and chromosomes, genetic mechanisms of ontogenesis and heterosis.
Objects of research: human cells, Drosophila melanogaster, mulberry and oak silkworms, agricultural plants.
Directions Department of research: cell mechanisms of radio-biological reaction modification of agricultural plants and their protection from high damaging doses of ionizing radiation. Laboratory collaborators: Tatiyana I. Baeva (Ph D), Larisa V. Vinokurova (Ph D).
The studies conducted in the recent years in the Department included the influence of laser light, microwave radiation, electric and magnetic fields on the state of chromatin condensation – the process of heterochromatinization.
The photograph of human buccal epithelium cell with granules of heterochromatin is presented in Fig.1. In our studies it was demonstrated that the heterochromatin granule quantity – HGQ increases after microwave irradiation (Fig. 2).
Effect of microwave irradiation on HGQ depends on the state of its circular polarization ; the ultra wideband irradiation also induces chromatin condensation .
We have demonstrated that the changes of the state of chromatin are connected with physical charges in human organism related to sport training, circadian rhythms and the process of senescence .
We have also proposed the method of determination of biological effect of electromagnetic fields on human cells  and the method of determination of the state of fatigue during the sports trainings
- Shckorbatov Y.G., Pasiuga V.N., Kolchigin N.N., Batrakov D.O., Kazansky O.V., Kalashnkov V.V. Changes in the human nuclear chromatin induced by ultra wideband pulse irradiation // Central European Journal of Biology. – 2009. – V.4. – N.1. – P. 97-106.
- Shckorbatov Y.G., Pasiuga V.N., Kolchigin N.N., Grabina V.A., Batrakov D.O., Kalashnikov V.V., Ivanchenko D.D., Bykov V.N. The influence of differently polarized microwave radiation on chromatin in human cells // International Journal of Radiation Biology. – 2009. – V.85. – N.4. – P. 322-3293.
- Shckorbatov Y.G., Zhuravleva L.A., Navrotskaya V.V. On Connection between the state of chromatin in cells of human buccal epithelium and the state of organism // The Second World Assembly on Ageing. Valencia Forum. Abstracts.- Valencia, 2002.- http://www. valenciaforum.com
- Shkorbatov Yu.G., Kolchig³n M.M., and others. Patent of Ukra¿ne. ¹35375, 2008.
- Shkorbatov Yu.G., Shakhbazov V.G., and others. Patent of Ukra¿ne ¹ 2000042134, 2001.
Research Institute of Biology,
V.N.Karazin Kharkiv National University
Svobodu sq,4, 61022 Kharkov, Ukraine.